Wednesday, January 25, 2012

"Guilty Pleasure" (Day 2)

This one's going to take some explaining...


When I thought of a "guilty pleasure" I automatically thought of food, but I figured this might be a pretty typical idea. Half of me really wanted to indulge in something decadent simply for the sake of taking a picture (oh, and being a glutton...), but half of me really wanted to stay away from food entirely. Sooooo conceptually, my former half won, but for all intents and purposes... well... you'll see.


The fact of the matter is that "Guilty Pleasure" day fell on a Tuesday, which falls directly in line with wing night at my... place-of-employment-which-shall-go-unnamed-as-per-request-of-said-place-of-employment's-internet-media-or-whathaveyou-policy. Yeah that one. When we first opened, I got the immense privilege of running wing night - 6 delightful hours of filling order after order after order ad infinitum of smelly, slimy little chicken wings that for some reason all of Canton swarms after on a weekly (if not daily) basis. Wing night was to be the bane of my existence for months on end. Tuesday night was not just another night of the week... it was quickly transformed into a night of fear and loathing.

Fast-forward about 3 years, and I am no longer the "wing wench."  Instead I work on the station that handles wraps, salads, sandwiches, and all things NOT fried in grease and entirely lacking in nutritional value. In other words, on wing night, I work the Brownie Station, thus nicknamed by "moi" because very few people order from the rest of the kitchen on Tuesday nights - wings dominate, and the only fun I get is running back to the walk-in cooler for brownie after brownie once our guests decide the smorgasbord is winding down and move on to dessert. This, to me, is a guilty pleasure not because I get to look down the line and have a mirthless, unfeeling laugh at what you see in these pictures (my co-workers sweating their butts off while satiating the wing-lust of Canton, Ohio), but because I do in fact feel a twang of knowing pain every time I glance down the line... and then happily turn around to face the grand challenge of going to grab the next brownie!

Check, please!


















No comments:

Post a Comment